Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Passion

Jason and I lead a small group on Wednesday nights. We've lead it for a little over a year now. I love our small group. I really do. Not just because they cook great food and kiss my babies either. For some reason, we recently hit a very fruitful spot in our group. Not that it was ever bad....it just wasn't "flowing". Jason and I really prayed about it and felt like God was leading us in a time of "getting back to the basics"...and in our minds that just meant sharing life together and loving Jesus. So, we kind of started all over and told everyone to start bringing a side dish. We had a lot of mac & cheese the first few weeks, but we all hung out, loved on all (what felt like) 42 children and got to know one another. In the meantime, our group started growing numerically and spiritually.

Tonight is one of those nights. Just got back from small group where we had awesome tacos. But even more so, I just got back from a night where I saw our group BE the church. A family in our congregation recently lost their father. It was totally and completely devastating and unexpected. There are 2 teenage boys involved and a now widowed wife. My heart has ached for them in every possible way over this past month as they have dealt with this grief. On top of it all, they have had some major home repairs come up and when you have just lost your husband, it all looks overwhelming I'm sure. But.... I have been brought to tears as I hear things like this from our group.....

"I got an unexpected check recently and have been wondering what we should do with it...I want to give it all to them...."

"I think I'll go tomorrow after work and do some painting at their house..."

"Yeah, let's pull together and go fix up the yard."

"We just felt like we were supposed to give them this check..."

And on the 8th we, and some other groups at RCCC, are going over there to do whatever needs to be done.

And they don't even know these people. They're on fire. They are living passionately. Being the church. Just as it should be.

I'd eat 2 lbs of mac & cheese every Wednesday night to see more of this.

2 comments:

Breanna said...

THAT is what it's all about. We miss you guys!

Unknown said...

I'd eat 2 lbs of macaroni & cheese anyway, but our small group is most definitely fantasmagorically awesome!