Saturday, August 02, 2008

Early mornings

This morning, like every Saturday morning, I woke up way too early at the 7th hour. I can't for the life of me understand why? It's like when I was in elementary school and would fight my mom to get out of bed, but then come Saturday morning and I was up for those cartoons. You know what I'm saying, don't you?

So, anyhow, I woke up early and had some free time to myself. It's kind of nice actually to have quiet. I have felt my mind blurring in a cloud of thoughts lately. I'm naturally a pretty extroverted person and it's hard for me to turn things off when I need to. Where Jason would spend every day inside with a book (alone), I would be at a book club discussing a book that I read with 10 other people. My personality has its advantages, but I'm seeing the toll it takes on my.....well, my husband for one, but also my ability to get alone.....settle down...pray.....set goals....whatever.

In discussing this with Jason I decided I would let him help me. (Step one: Releasing my control. :) ) Of course, what do you think he suggested me doing? YES!!! Read a book! And I don't mean just any book. My Harry Potter fascination had to be put on hold for now. No, no, no....I'm reading "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families". I've officially crossed over. In trade, I made him read (I mean... suggested) "The Five Love Languages". Ha ha ha. Ha. Ha.

Ha. Ha

All kidding aside, this is the best thing that I could be doing right now. The fact that it hurts so much to put my precious fiction aside and slow down is how I know it's right. I know that God wants me to be continually seeking after Him every day. Not that I don't strive to do that, but it gets hard for me when I don't deliberately seek that time out.

Don't worry Harry Potter. I will be back. I'll just do it with God first.

1 comment:

Jason Powers said...

Step 1: Be Proactive... you're doing great baby! Keep up the good work. (Love Language #1 - Words of affirmation. Check). ;-)